Name of the Programme: BSc Animal Science
Duration: 4 years (Diploma Nested)
Credit Points: 495 credit points
The main purposes of the BSc in Animal Science programme are to develop national capacity in sustainable livestock development and contribute to rural development and poverty reduction initiatives. This programme is designed to develop a cadre of professionals with skills, knowledge, and competencies in applied science pertinent to all aspects of animal health and animal production.
The students will be equipped with integrated knowledge and skills in livestock production, and animal health management. Also, the students will be prepared with knowledge and skills to plan, design and manage the livestock farm which will be useful for self-employment in future. Such entrepreneurship skills will be imparted through the livestock farms available in the college campus.
They will also learn how to diagnose animal disease causing pathogens and treat common livestock diseases. The students will also be armed with knowledge and skills in identification of zoonotic diseases which are crucial for safety of public health. The programme will also fortify students with additional transferable skills such as analytical and communication, scientific writing, and leadership and organization management skills which are essential for their day-to-day career progression.
This programme is also intended to enhance the ability of the students to apply knowledge and skills in finding solutions to different livestock production and health related issues through scientific and research approaches, which will strengthen the changing demands for food and nutrient security in the country nd region.
Diploma in Animal Science
Upon completion of the Diploma programme, graduates will be able to:
- Perform ration computation using available feed and fodder as raw-material.
- Develop an ability to communicate effectively and conscientiously.
- Implement the primary disease control and preventive measures, essential quality, and safety aspects about foods of animal origin.
- Perform routine tasks associated with animal reproduction.
- Perform clinical examination, diagnose, treat, and control animal diseases.
- Adopt standard bio-security measures in the livestock farms to prevent disease outbreaks and other infections of zoonotic importance to safeguard public health.
- Perform common surgical operations on animals.
- Establish dairy, poultry, piggery, fish, apiculture, etc. as a rural enterprise.
- Assist rural communities in establishing, operating, and managing rural enterprises efficiently.
- Assess and promote the welfare system at the farm levels for different farm animals.
BSc in Animal Science
In addition to the learning outcomes of the Diploma award, graduates of the programme will be able to:
- Apply principles and practices relating to occupational health and safety.
- Use the knowledge of entrepreneurship development, agribusiness, and marketing for gainful self-employment.
- Apply principles of farm biosecurity and biosafety measures to prevent accidental spread of biological agents to environment.
- Conduct monitoring and surveillance in disease management planning activities.
- Conduct hazard identification, risk assessment, risk management and risk communication, in relation to spreading of potential animal pathogens, in livestock products.
- Carry out livestock product development, processing, and marketing.
- Design and conduct scientific research and publish scientific articles.
- Apply the concepts of project management in livestock development.
- Demonstrate leadership, teamwork, collaboration, and organizational management skills.
- Propose improvement options in existing systems for sustainable livestock production
The four year programme is designed with double exit and double entry possibilities. The first two years of the programme is skill based, and prepares students to exit with a two year Diploma certificate. On completion of the first two years, those students capable of and wishing to pursue Bachelor programme will continue further for two more years and exit with Bachelor degree.
Detail of the programme structure: Click here
1. Undergraduate Science tuition fee: Nu. 91,646 per year (45,823 per semester)
(Accepted in two installments. The fee amount is expected to increase by 2% every year).
2. Security Deposit:2,000 (One time)
3. Registration/CDF contribution: 1,000 (One time)
4. Hostel Rent: 3000 per year (1500 per semester)
5. Welfare Contribution: 360 per year (180 per Semester)
6. Mess contribution: 15,000 per year (7,500 per semester )
The programme integrates both theoretical and technical knowledge, skills, and competencies to secure employment in the Department of Livestock, MoAF as a primary employer and other related agencies in government, corporate and private sectors such as BAFRA, BLDC, Karma Feed, etc. Besides, the programme is designed to engage students in experiential learning to equip them with skills and knowledge to venture into entrepreneurship and employment in the private sector.
Class XII pass students with minimum of 50% in Biology (Biology – 5, Chemistry – 3, English – 3, Dzongkha – 2 and 1 other subject – 1)
Head of Deartment: Dr. Jigme Tenzin
Contact No. +975-17747794
Programme Leader: Dr. Tshering Gyelpo
Contact No. +975-17565063