Centre for Sustainable Mountain Agriculture (CSMA)
College of Natural Resources
Royal University of Bhutan
The research focus of the Centre for Sustainable Mountain Agriculture (CSMA) is specific to agriculture development such as improved and sustainable method of crop production, food processing among others. The Centre will conduct both the basic and applied research related to agriculture including livestock research. The Centre is responsible for mobilization of funds from within and outside the country for faculty and student research. The centre also engages in collaborative research with relevant organization and provides advisory services in framing policies related to agriculture development.
The centre aims to achieve excellence in research and development to provide support to farmers in improving their livelihood, becoming self-reliance and enhancing household food security.
- generate research based knowledge in areas of food, nutrition, sustainable crop production, and product development and disseminate the findings to policy makers,
- provide empirical evidences for policy development related to sustainable agriculture and rural development,
- support farmers in improving their livelihoods by making available innovative and sustainable crop production practices,
- support farmers in enhancing household food security,
- build research collaboration at the national and international level,
- serve as a centre to build capacity in biotechnology, sustainable crop production, post-harvest, agribusiness, marketing, and sustainable value chain, food processing, product development and nutrition,
- engage local communities to design and develop resilient farms to overcome the effects of climate change in agriculture, and
- provide agriculture related support and trainings to novice researchers.
Mandates of the CSMA
The mandates of the all research centres, CSMA, CECR and CRDS remain same as below:
- Lead development of research agendas for CNR,
- Support sourcing of research funding to implement research,
- Promote publication of high quality relevant research findings,
- Build collaborative research networks between interested parties both within (e.g. Colleges of RUB, research institutes) and outside Bhutan (e.g. external universities and research centres),
- Liaise and maintain contact with key actors, centres and agencies working in the environment sector in Bhutan,
- Facilitate and support debate through lectures, seminars, workshops etc. on Bhutan’s environmental and climate change agenda and their policies,
- Establish a resource centre on environment and climate studies that draws on comparative and relevant research and theory on mountain environment,
- Provide professional and training services to different stakeholders, and
- Organize community services on environmental services.
The CSMA is coordinated by Ms UgyenYangchen, who has a long working experience in research and external linkages. The centre is over-sighted by Dean of Research and Industrial Linkages (DRIL) under the Leadership of the President. All higher degree research including Master by Research and PhD programmes function under the Research and Innovation Section. The day-to-day functioning of the centres and the office of the DRIL is assisted by the Research and Liaison Officer.
Contact us at:
Research / Liaison Officer
Phone: 00975 2 376250 (office)
Mr. Karma Wangchuk
Phone: 00975 2 376249 (office)